Low Carb Cinnamon Almonds
|June 6, 2013||Filled under Recipes: Cookies, Desserts, WLS Tips||
I was busy cleaning and sorting through our freezer the other day and came across a bag of raw almonds. I vaguely remember purchasing them to make my own homemade smoked almonds. While searching for that recipe I came across another one for cinnamon glazed almonds. They sounded wonderful and looked even better with their sugary coating. Unfortunately me and things coated in sugar do not get along thanks to RH. I wondered if there would be a way to replace the sugar with Splenda which is usually my sugar replacement of choice. I thought I would make a small test batch and see how it worked out.
Thankfully it turned out quite well. Now I’ve got to try the smoked almond recipe next.
LOW CARB CINNAMON ALMONDS
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup Splenda or sugar replacement of choice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl beat the egg white until it is frothy but not stiff.
- Add in Splenda, vanilla extract, salt and cinnamon. Stir to just combine.
- Add in almonds and mix gently to until they are just coated with the egg white mixture.
- Spread the almonds evenly on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes and then gently stir.
- Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the almonds are crisp.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.
WLS Tip: while these almonds are lower in carbs than the original recipe that called for sugar please remember that you should not be eating handfuls. A serving size is about 1/4 cup of almonds. I found it quite easy to keep walking by the container and pop a few into my mouth without thinking. In the end I measured out each portion into a small snack bag to keep from randomly over snacking on these delicious treats.