Ham, Kale And White Bean Soup
|August 21, 2013||Filled under Recipes: Beans and Grains, Recipes: Pork, Ham, Recipes: Soups and Stews||
Whenever I make a spiral ham I always save the bone. If you don’t want to use it right away it can be placed in a freezer bag and frozen for up to 6 months. What can you do with a ham bone? Well, when you cook it in the crockpot it makes the best ham broth for soup. It’s super easy to do. Simply take the bone that’s left over after removing much of the meat from it and put it in your crockpot. Add a quart or more of water. Enough to cover the bone. Add in a quartered onion, a stick or two of celery and a carrot. Cook on low for at least 8 hours. Or on high for 6 hours. Once it’s done remove the bone and strain out the broth. Any meat that is on the bone can be picked off and added to the soup.
What kind of soup can you make with your ham broth? Well how about this Ham, Kale and White Bean Soup?
Ham, Kale and White Bean Soup
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic OR 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz frozen, chopped kale OR ½ bunch of fresh kale (remove stems and chop)
- 8 oz frozen, sliced zucchini OR 1 fresh zucchini, diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced ( I used 2 red potatoes and left the skin on)
- 15 oz can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed OR 1½ cups cooked beans
- 2 to 3 cups of diced ham
- 6 cups of broth (I used ham broth from cooking the ham with some added veggie broth base)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large pot add the onion and garlic (if using fresh) along with a drizzle of olive oil. Cook until the onion has softened a bit.
- Add the remaining ingredients: kale, zucchini, potatoes, beans, ham, broth, red and black pepper. Carefully add salt to taste since the ham contains a good amount of salt in it.
- Add any other veggies you might have on hand. In my case I included thinly sliced cabbage and a small amount of string beans.
- Cook over medium heat until the potatoes have softened.
- Adjust pepper and salt to taste and serve.
Have you ever tried making ham broth in the crockpot? What’s your favorite recipe to use it in. Leave a comment and a link to your favorite recipe below.