Weekend Cookup 2
|July 22, 2012||Filled under Weekend Cookup||
In the past I tried a variety of freezer cooking, once a month cooking or even doubling/tripling a batch of something cooking. There were some winners but many of them didn’t work for my family. I have a family of leftover haters. Leftovers are what you basically get when you cook an entire meal, freeze it and then reheat it when your short on time. I grew up having leftovers on a regular basis. My husband however is one of six children. Needless to say there was no such thing as leftovers in his house. Someone always eat them before they had a chance to earn the status of “leftover”.
Now I spend my time cutting, chopping, marinating, baking and partially cooking meals. To get some idea of what I’m talking about here’s this weekends cookup:
Prepped by not cooked:
– chicken removed from the freezer to thaw
– grapes and strawberries washed, strawberries hulled and sliced. Both ready for snacking during the week
– two heads of romaine lettuce, peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers washed and sliced for salads during the week
– muffins made last week taken out from freezer to thaw
Dishes made included:
– Linguica, onions and peppers to be eaten in sandwiches or with other side dishes
– Italian pasta salad (pasta, diced salami, olives, peppers, onions and provolone cheese)
Planned dishes include:
– Broccoli and cheese soup (never made it last week)
– Potato, chicken and leek soup
– Tomato Peanut Soup
Still working on a few other things. It will all depend upon how hot it is during the week.
This is how I prep for meals in the upcoming week to help save time. What kind of things to you do to cut cooking time and save you money? Please leave a comment below and share some of your favorite tips.