|September 24, 2015||Filled under Recipes: Soups and Stews, Recipes: Vegetables|
I’m not exactly sure what the word Korma translates into but I’m pretty sure it might mean deliciously creamy sauce. The great thing about this dish is it’s very versatile. You can make it as it is or add chicken, beef or lamb to it. You can also add other vegetables if you would like. Cauliflower and zucchini both work great. The dish is usually served with rice and naan bread but it’s great over lentils as well.
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 3 medium sized carrots, cubed
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup peas
- 2 teaspoons ginger, fresh or 1 teaspoon dried, ground ginger
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons cashews, finely chopped
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ tablespoon curry power
- 1 teaspoon garam marsala
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1 cup light cream, unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender.
- Mix in the ginger and garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
- Mix in potatoes, carrots, green pepper, jalapeno, cashews, raisins and tomato sauce.
- Add salt, curry power and garam marsala.
- Stir well and cook 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the peas and cream.
- Reduce the heat and cook another 10 minutes.
- Serve garnished with fresh cilantro.
Serve this vegetarian korma alone or over rice or lentils.
Tips for WLSers: Add sliced cooked chicken, beef or lamb for an added boost of protein. Since this recipe already contains potatoes, carrots and peas (a good source of carbs) be mindful of your portion sizes of rice or lentils if you serve it over these. Choose brown rice over white rice. It will provide additional fiber and vitamins. Save cooking time by using canned lentils.
The original recipe called for heavy cream. By choosing light cream you can reduce the calories without changing the creamy texture. I’ve also made this recipe and replaced half or all of the cream with unsweetened almond milk and it’s still tastes delicious. Coconut milk also works but be aware that it is still high in calories.