The Recipe ReDux – Cranberry Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
|February 22, 2016||Filled under Recipe Redux, Recipes: Beans and Grains, Recipes: Cookies, Desserts|
Once again it’s time for the monthly Recipe ReDux challenge. This is the first and only recipe challenge founded by registered dietitians,The Recipe ReDux is focused on taking delicious dishes, keeping them delicious, but making them better for you. Each month there is a theme and this month’s theme is:
Break Out of Breakfast Boredom
Cooks aren’t always pressed for time in the mornings – they just need new ideas. Talk about a perfect theme. I have been on the run this past month and haven’t had much time to post. Often times I am running out the door early to get some errands done and don’t make it back home again until later in the evening. I pack my lunch the night before but breakfast is often eaten on the run. These breakfast cookies make a perfect on the go meal. Made with oatmeal they include an extra boost of fiber from the added Fiber One cereal. Give them a try if you are looking to break out of your breakfast boredom.
When I prepared these breakfast cookies I will actually measure out the ingredients for several batches. This helps to cut down prep time in the future. If you look at the recipe below you will notice that it says Bag 1 and Bag 2. I will measure out all of the ingredients for bag 1 (sugars, flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt) then seal those bags and set aside. I do the same thing with the ingredients for bag 2 (oats, cereal and cranberries). I place all of the bags into a larger freezer bag and include a paper with the name of the recipe (see the picture below).
Since I make these a few times a month measuring out enough to make 4 or 5 recipes helps to cut down on time later on as I only have to measure out the wet ingredients. I simply add the contents of each bag, as indicated in the recipe, when it’s time to make it.
CRANBERRY OATMEAL BREAKFAST COOKIES
- BAG 1
- ⅓ cup brown sugar or brown sugar substitute
- 3 tablespoons Splenda, granulated sugar or other sugar of choice
- ⅔ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- BAG 2
- 1 cup regular oats
- ½ cup Fiber One cereal or other high fiber cereal
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- WET INGREDIENTS
- 3 tablespoon butter or margarine at room temperature
- 5 tablespoons no sugar added applesauce or pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- In a bowl combine the butter, applesauce, egg and vanilla extract.
- Add the contents of Bag 1. If only preparing a single recipe then mix in the brown sugar, Splenda, whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the contents of Bag 2. If only preparing a single recipe then mix in the oats, Fiber one and cranberries.
- Spoon batter onto a cookie sheet in 10 evenly spaced mounds. Use a spoon to gently spread them into a circle about 2½ to 3 inches in diameter.
- Bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove and allow to cool.
Why not stop by and see what else everyone is cooking up for this month’s challenge.