Quick Portuguese Kale Soup
|August 5, 2013||Filled under Recipes: Soups and Stews|
Thankfully it seems we have passed the multiple heat waves that had been making it so miserable for cooking. And making soup? Forget it. I think I’m the only one in my family that could eat soup no matter what the weather was like. Today I made this quick version of my grandmother’s Portuguese Kale Soup. My grandmother would say that this is not “real” kale soup because I didn’t spend the day slowly cooking down a beef shank to make the broth for the soup. That method does produce a much richer tasting soup. But, when your short on time and still want something good to eat, this quick version works quite well.
For those who are watching their carb count this soup can be made with or without potatoes. It does contain a can of premade baked beans so the carb count per bowlful is 16.3 and that’s without potatoes. I’ll give a nutritional breakdown both with and without potatoes after the recipe. I don’t often do nutritional breakdowns….it’s rather a pain….but was curious as to how much of a difference adding the traditionally used potatoes would make when it came to total carbs.
In order to make kale soup a type of Portuguese sausage called Linguica is needed. You can substitute a spicer version called Chourico if desired. I’ve been told that another type of sausage called Chorizo can be used in it’s place. I’ve never tasted the stuff but it’s always worth trying if that’s what is available in your area.
Quick Portuguese Kale Soup
- 1 bunch of fresh kale or a 16 ounce bag of frozen, chopped kale
- 1 lb of linguica or turkey linguica (chourico can also be substituted), sliced into rolls about ½ inch thick
- 16 ounce can of Bush’s Baked Beans with Onion
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: 1 large potato, peeled, quartered and cut into small pieces
- If using fresh kale wash it and then remove the thick stem. Cut the kale into strips about ½ to 1 inch wide. Set kale aside.
- In a large pot add the onion, garlic and the sliced linguica.
- Saute until the onions have softened a bit. Add in the water, beef broth and the can of baked beans.
- Add the kale to the pot and stir to moisten the kale. Cook over a medium heat until the kale has softened – about 20 to 30 minutes. If using frozen kale cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
- If your adding a potato then add it to the pot with the kale. Continue to cook until the kale has softened.
Here’s the nutritional stats on approximately 1 1/2 cups of soup
Calories: 208 / 244.3 with potato
Fat: 9.8 grams even with potato
Total Carbs: 16.3 grams / 24.4 grams with potato
Fiber: 3.3 grams / 4.3 grams with potato
Protein: 14.6 grams / 15.3 grams with potato