Low Carb and Gluten Free Blueberry Zucchini Bread
|July 22, 2013||Filled under Recipes: Biscuits, Muffins, Bread|
While some people dread it I love it when there’s a garden full of zucchini. With a little prep work you can end up with a freezer full of fresh zucchini to be used throughout the fall and winter. Sadly I don’t know if I will end up with an overabundance of them this year due to the incredibly amount of rain followed by several heat waves. The tomatoes have taken a beating and the cukes are nearly dead but the zucchini are hanging on so far.
In preparation for what will hopefully be more vegetables than I can handle I decided to test out this recipe. The original recipe used both all purpose flour and wheat flour along with lots of brown sugar. I dialed back the sugar and replaced some of it with Splenda for baking. Sugar helps baked goods brown and keeps them moist. When I’m trying to make multiple changes in a recipe I like to leave at least a little sugar so the texture isn’t changed so drastically.
I already make muffins with low carb bake mix so I used some of that to replace the flour. The texture of the muffins is good but it’s definitely different than flour based muffins. Instead of using all low carb bake mix I decided to try including a bit of Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free Baking Flour to see if I could get the bread to have a texture closer to one made with flour. Of course this means it does add more carbs back in since the flour is not made with low carb ingredients. But the bread makes 16 pieces so I figured a few extra carbs would be worth it if the texture was more bread like.
BLUEBERRY ZUCCHINI BREAD
- 1½ cups of zucchini grated, squeezed and drained
- ½ cup Splenda for baking
- ½ cup yogurt (vanilla or plain)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup low carb bake mix
- ¾ cup gluten free flour mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup blueberries (frozen or fresh)
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a 8 X 8 inch pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix the zucchini, Splenda, brown sugar, oil, yogurt and egg.
- In another bowl blend the low carb bake mix, gluten free flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Stir in blueberries and pecans only until just mixed in.
- Spoon batter into the baking pan and bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the bread comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, cool 5 minutes and then cut.
The texture was great! More bread like than the muffins made with only low carb bake mix. I used frozen wild blueberries but fresh would have worked just as well. Topped with a little bit of butter it was even better.