Apple Pecan Pie
|November 2, 2015||Filled under Recipes: Cookies, Desserts|
My family has enjoyed this pie many times now. The good thing about it is I get to enjoy it as well. This magically pie makes its own crust while being lower in fat and sugar. It makes one 8 inch pie pan appley goodness. My favorite apple combination is two honey crisps and a granny smith apple but just about any type of baking apple will work with this pie.
APPLE PECAN PIE
- 3 medium to large apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- ½ cup of Splenda or your favorite sweetener
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole pecans or ½ cup chopped
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and spray an 8 inch pie pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Peel, cored and slice the apples.
- In a large bowl add the eggs and beat with a fork.
- Add the flour, baking powder, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Add the sliced apples and pecans. Toss to coat.
- Spoon into a 8 inch pie pan.
- Combine the granulated sugar and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle over the top of the mixture.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until the apples are soft and the top is lightly browned.
- Cool before slicing.
The granulated sugar sprinkled over the top helps the pie to brown nicely. While Splenda adds sweetness it will not brown. The little bit of added sugar will help with that though it is optional and can be left off if you desire.
This crustless pie is lower in fat and carbs. It makes a nice dessert that everyone loves (and that doesn’t cause dumping or a RH reaction for me) so I will bring it to family gatherings so I know there is one great tasting dessert there that won’t make me sick.
Got a favorite low or lower in carb dessert recipe? Why not leave a comment and a link in the box below.